Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wednesdays go POP! (and Pop Art too)

A couple weeks ago, Steph and I ventured to the AGO and Supermarket on a Wednesday night.

The AGO, as Steph mentioned before, is free Wednesday nights, and she once again took advantage of it. I, on the other hand, was venturing into the gallery as a first-timer. Unfortunately, pictures weren't allowed, and there were too many people to be stealth about it! The AGO experience was fun, but I had been to a really awesome modern art gallery in Los Angelos a few years back, and unfortunately all my art experiences there after are being compared to it. Although, I did see my first Warhol in person, and let me tell you, I was totally obsessed with him in highschool.

We then headed to the Kensington Market area, which I've always loved. It's got a really chill, cool vibe to it. I had heard about Supermarket a few months back, whilst searching for a place to celebrate my birthday in February. It lost by a couple points to Insomnia, which proved pretty good as well.

Supermarket is a restaurant-bar with live music, specializing in Asian-inspired finger foods. We decided to go on that particular night because Wednesdays are "Wednesdays go POP!" night, so for a 'pay-what-you-can' cover, we'd be treated to a show of new and independent bands.

Interestingly enough, of the bands playing that night were Stereos, a Much Music founded band that have just begun getting radio play. Steph and I agreed that their sound is reminiscent of Motion City Soundtrack and the like, meaning they'll do well in the mainstream. It really did feel like we were seeing that kind of band before they hit it big at all, so it was kinda cool. They did really well at making their sound feel "big".

Also on the list were Eve and the Ocean and Decade of Sleep. Decade of Sleep weren't really to Steph and my taste, but their cover of The Beatles' 'I Am the Walrus' was quite enjoyable. Eve and the Ocean, aka Tia Brazda, has a really nice, sweet sound. She reminds me a little bit of Lights, but with lyrics and a voice that's more genuine. You could really see the emotion in her performance, my favourite song being 'Femme Fatale' - definitely check out her Myspace!

Another thing about Supermarket - the food! The service was great, but Steph and I weren't very smart and didn't realize that the portions weren't 'dim sum' sized. This meant that we somehow managed to order enough food for four people. Granted, the food was good, it was just laughable that they couldn't fit all the dishes on our table when no one else was eating!

Overall, fun night. Art, music, and good food!

(Outfit: Slouchy hat - H&M | Sweater dress, worn backwards - Silence & Noise, Urban Outfitters | Patterned tights | Ardene)

3 comments:

Grace said...

How I love a red knit hat. That wall is a perfect backdrop as well.

Love Grace.

May Kasahara said...

sounds like sooo much fun * * *

Fashionisaparty.com (Suz) said...

nice hat!
xx

 
Style Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory