Monday, February 23, 2009

Twilight AND NYLON, ugh.

So I've covered both NYLON's transformation and Twilight lately...and here they are, together.

My only wish? That I hadn't subscribed to NYLON after all.

From the cover alone, I'm disappointed. I wasn't a fan of the last issue, but with this cover, it looks like NYLON's trying to be Teen Vogue or something. It's just seems to have lost its edge. Perhaps my expectations for the magazine been too high, but, this just doesn't look like what NYLON should be to me.

Admittedly, the design is good and clean, but it just doesn't seem to be what would appeal to NYLON's readers. Maybe it's just me, but although the summer-y colour palette is appealing, it lack a sense of edginess. Even the way Kristen's hair is laid on top of the NYLON masthead doesn't work - it just makes it look fake...it's just seems done wrong. And the wardrobe styling? Maybe I'm behind on the trends or something, but I'm just not feeling it...

The article covering Kristen, "uncensored" reads:

On the Twilight Madness: “Anywhere we’d go for Twilight was a psychotic situation. The sound was deafening, and it’s thoughtless, as well… You get a slew of all these bullshit questions like, ‘What’s it like to kiss a vampire?’ and ‘How much do you love Robert?’ Then you’ll get one that’s actually real, but you’re like, ‘No, I can’t right now, I can’t even consider [it].”

Are you kidding? I feel like this girl, although she can be pretty at times, just needs to get over herself. I'm not a Twilight fan, but as the lead actress in a very popular movie, shouldn't she at least humour her audience? Maybe she's not a fan of the series herself or something, but I'm sure it's part of her job description to pretend like she is...at least until she's done with the series.

On the cover, it quotes her saying, "Nobody should every put what I say in a magazine." I'm sure she means it to be witty and badass...but it is true, if only for her own sake. Much better to be quiet and mysterious than to say things that make you come off as incredibly unprofessional.



Feature articles from NYLON used to make me like the actress/singer a little more, or at least spark some interest, but this is just making me go, "Please, stop."

NYLON, please stop. MAYBE I'm being a tad harsh? I haven't actually received the issue, so maybe the rest of it will be redeeming. Here's hoping...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you're right. Kristen Stewart has never been good at interviews...if you've seen some of her interviews she acts pretty unprofessionally. Alot of people say give her a break. But its her job, she should pull her act together whether she likes it or not. And this cover is kind of different from the usual Nylon feel.

Unknown said...

i ABSOLUTELY AGREE with you, i hated her acting in twilight! grr and she actually gets paid for it! after watching interview of her i lost all respect of her. I wish they change the main role! but i know they probably won't! her acting sucks her personality sucks. i just don't like how she ruin it for the fans. her comment really annoyed me about fans questions. I know the questions might be stupid your an actress in the movie at least respect the fans.

May Kasahara said...

kristen stewart makes my skin crawl

Cakemaster said...

She sounds so ignant.
and I STILL HAVEN'T WATCHED THE MOVIE =(

Sarah said...

Haha, oh my. Kstew takes the most horrendous cover photos, I think there has been a few featured on gofugyourself.com and also ohnotheydidn't.

I think it's something to do with that blank expression and her jaw? It's probably mean to nitpick but gah, she annoys me like no tomorrow.

ess elsie. said...

Ugh, must agree with you. KStew needs to STFU. Immediately.

And to stop dating the boy from Sky High... b/c I still have a mild crush on him after seeing that movie like 5 years ago.

Anonymous said...

HEY! You got a new banner! Things look a bit different. Outside is getting a bit warmer. I think...I think I'm in a good mood, spread that around if you can.

The beautiful and glammed said...

the cover is lacklustre to say the least. Definitely going to follow your blog, xxx

 
Style Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory